A WIN WIN
Living smoke free is a win win for everyone.
For Landlords, adopting a smoke free policy for your rental properties can save you money, cut your risk of fire damage, reduce complaints, improve the health of your tenants and building, and increase your rental marketability. For these reasons, more and more property owners are choosing to go smoke free. Getting started is easier than you think.
For Tenants, smoke free policies mean healthier breathing spaces. There is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Babies, children, those with asthma and heart disease and even your pets are particularly sensitive. Smoke from neighboring apartments can get in through air ducts, cracks in floors and walls, stairwells, hallways, and more. You can take steps to protect your household.
For Public Housing Authorities (PHAs), not only will tenants breathe easier but PHAs can reduce staff time, turnover costs and reduce the risk of fire. Hundreds of PHAs across the nation, and most in Rhode Island, have already adopted smoke free policies. We have the tools to help you get started.
- Quick Links
- Listen to Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) smoke-free policy podcast
- Rhode Island Housing and Urban Development
- Quit Now RI
- Public Health Law Center
- Americans for Nonsmokers rights
- Live Smoke Free Recorded Webinars
- CDC Healthy Homes Manual PDF
- Rhode Island Smoke Free Public Housing Data
- Download Individual Documents from the Smoke-Free Housing Toolkit